Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > General > Site Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Site Suggestions Suggestions for Ancients.info and our forums.

Old Apr 8, 2006, 07:22 PM   #1
mnpolock

View My Photo Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to mnpolock
Lightbulb Club Listing or something like that

I see there is an area for Clubs to set up a forum thread, but I thought it might be a good idea to have an area where people can just post some info about a club. For example I would have posted about the club here in the twin cities even thou I am not a member .. but it is something that would be nice for other board members from Minnesota to know... anyways ... not even sure how you would do that or accum the info and such... but it is a thought.

Thanks,

Tony
Old Apr 10, 2006, 07:26 PM   #2
BeastCoins

View My Photo Gallery
Hello Tony,

Interesting idea and I'll have to check with Bill to see if there is anything we can do to set up some sort of Club Calendar or something.

--Beast

VCoins US/Banknotes Store:
http://www.vcoins.com/us/beastcoins

VCoins World Store:
http://www.vcoins.com/world/beastcoins

Beast Coins Research Site:
http://www.beastcoins.com
BeastCoins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 07:31 PM   #3
mnpolock

View My Photo Gallery
Hey Zach,

I was thinking just a listing ... perhaps just by state ... and that way members could email or post different clubs and the list grows and is accessible to everyone... the calendar idea is smooth also ... that way you could always know when a meeting would be coming up.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 06:01 AM   #4
admin
Administrator

View My Photo Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to admin
This is a really good idea. There is already a calendar here on the site -- see the Calendar option up top. Anyone want to have a look and see if that works as it is? In the meantime I'll work on a way to handle club listings.

Bill
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 06:51 AM   #5
4to2centophilia

View My Photo Gallery
Yes, great idea. Listing by State would be helpful for US citizens. I live in CT and have yet to find a local club. I have googled till I am googled out.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 07:13 AM   #6
mnpolock

View My Photo Gallery
Bill,

The calendar option works like a champ I think ... where does it display what is upcoming on the board... I see the what happened today ... but no upcoming items... I added the next three club meeting for the TCACC

Tony
Old Apr 11, 2006, 08:59 AM   #7
admin
Administrator

View My Photo Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to admin
You have to go to the Calendar and select the Monthly view to see what's coming up. I'll see about adding a sidebar -- that would be a nice solution.

Bill
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 03:30 PM   #8
esnible

View My Photo Gallery
The ANA keeps a list of clubs that can be searched by state or by specialties (like "ancients")

http://www.money.org/ana_custom/club_search/

The information on it is not always up-to-date, but often it will give you the email address of a "club contact" who is a member of the club and might know about other clubs.

The list of clubs in the back of the Celator is fairly complete in terms of US clubs that accept new members. (There are a few ancient clubs that don't accept new members....)
esnible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 02:35 AM   #9
SteveDupont

View My Photo Gallery
Coin Clubs - Local and National

I'm not a member of very many coin clubs other than the American Numismatic Association (ANA) and the Beverly Hills Coin Club (BHCC).

Most of us probably know about the ANA since it was founded in 1891, but perhaps not as many know about the BHCC.

BHCC was founded in 1987 by the two actors Buddy Ebsen and Chris Aable. I met both of them at a coin show near the Los Angeles International Airport sometime in the early 1990s.

Buddy is probably best known for his role as "Jed" in "The Beverly Hill Billies". But he was also played the sidekick of actor Fess Parker in the Walt Disney TV Production of "Davey Crockett" in the 1950s. Chris Aable was on the TV Show "General Hospital" in the 1980s and produced/hosted the TV Show "Hollywood Today" in the 1990s, which aired on Century Cable. Ironically, I remember seeing both of them on TV the night after I met them while staying with a friend in Century City.

The ANA has long and interesting history as well. I was told once that J.P. Morgan used to be a member, as is Robert Wagner and Wayne Gretsky, but I don't know how to confirm this. I do know that B. Max Mehl was, and I was fortunate enough to buy some his coins in Dallas many years ago.

The link for the ANA is www.money.org and for BHCC is www.bhcoinclub.org BHCC also has an interesting article on Alexander the Great on ancient gold coins.
SteveDupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 08:04 AM   #10
hieron

View My Photo Gallery
FWIW I have Buddy Ebsen's Caligula Sestertius with the Divo Aug Temple reverse posted in my Roman Bronze album. As I recall from that sale, this was the only bronze he owned. Everything else was gold. Buddy had the whipout to get some nice coins.
Clay
hieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:00 PM   #11
esnible

View My Photo Gallery
I have the auction catalog from the sale of his collection. It's nice. I believe there is a picture of him playing Jed Clampitt on the title page.
esnible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:31 PM   #12
4to2centophilia

View My Photo Gallery
Ah yes, the BH coin club.

I always found this a fun fact.

http://bhcoinclub.org/advertising.htm

M
Old Jun 5, 2007, 01:11 PM   #13
hieron

View My Photo Gallery
ROFL. Those BH guys have some disposable income! I wonder if they would pay me that much to live in BH.

Actually the Buddy Ebsen collection was sold by Superior Galleries in NYC 5/31-6/2/87. The front and back covers of the catalog are coins pics. There is a two page spread just inside the front with a picture of BE in a red velvet chair on the first page and a picture of him taken on the BH set in costume with a description of his career. Interesting guy. They said he got bronchitis from the aluminum powder on his face after 10 days and could not play the Tin Man in Wizard of Oz, but it was probably asthma. A was a poorly understood and widely misdiagnosed disorder back then.

Clay

Last edited by hieron : Jun 5, 2007 at 01:14 PM. Reason: typos
hieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 08:16 AM   #14
SteveDupont

View My Photo Gallery
Buddy Ebsen's name on token.

I've heard from another member of the Beverly Hills Coin Club that they are issuing a $20 "Good For" token, 24k Gold plated silver, with Buddy Ebsen's name on it. The token comes with two obverse designs, exact replicas of the 1795 $10 Gold and 1933 $20 Saint and has the date fouding date "1987" on the bottom reverse along with the co-founders, Buddy Ebsen and Chris Aable, who is also in show business. The BHCC is selling these at their face value of $20, which then can be turned in towards future membership fees or books.

Is this the first time that two actor's names appear on a token?
SteveDupont is offline   Reply With Quote