Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > Coin Talk > Roman
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Roman Roman Republican, Imperatorial, and Imperial coinage.

Old Dec 29, 2008, 03:10 PM   #1
jamesicus

View My Photo Gallery
Carausius/Maximian

I always gobble up any of the Carausian antoninianus coins struck in the names of Diocletian and Maximian Herculius -- no matter what their condition -- whenever I come across them for sale. Here is a Carausius/Maximian I recently came by -- pretty well worn but fairly readable.

IMP C MAXIMIANVS PF AVG ......................... SALVS AVGGG - (MLXXI in exergue - S P in field)

RIC Volume V (2), No. 38?

JFP

Last edited by jamesicus : Feb 18, 2009 at 01:04 PM. Reason: image correction
jamesicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 07:40 PM   #2
bpmurphy
Super Moderator

View My Photo Gallery
Keep your eyes on VAuctions. You missed this one.

http://www.vauctions.com/auctions/AP...em.asp?ID=1207

Barry Murphy
bpmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 07:47 PM   #3
jamesicus

View My Photo Gallery
Such is life!
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:00 AM   #4
Mauseus

View My Photo Gallery
Hi,

Yes, RIC 38. Curiously Carson omitted this coin type of Maximianus from his "Carausius et fratres sui" listing in the Naster festschrift although RIC listed it. Another example can be found in the Rogiet hoard.

Regards,

Mauseus

MAUSEUS on VCoins
Mauseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:44 AM   #5
jamesicus

View My Photo Gallery
A recent addition ..........

IMP C MAXIMIANVS PF AVG ........................... PAX [AVGGG] - MLXXI in exergue - S P in field

RIC Volume V (2), No. 34

.......... and glad to have it. As I mentioned in another thread, historical association is more important to me than condition, although I do much like complete inscriptions with nice letterforms -- too bad the AVGGG is off the flan on this coin.

One of my collecting regrets is that I did not actively seek out and start collecting this coin type in the past. About fifty years ago (when I was in a Julio-Claudian Sestertius collecting "phase") a fellow enthusiast offered to swap a Carausian "Et Fratres" (jugate busts of Diocletian, Maximian, Carausius) reverse coin for a Caligula "three sisters" Sestertius I owned -- I wrestled with the offer, but finally rejected it. Now I wish I would have consummated the deal. I long ago gave up collecting Julio-Claudian Sestertii (a close friend in town now owns my "three sisters" coin) and, as you can see, I am an avid collector of Romano-British coins.

Well, we all have our own collecting regrets (the ones we let get away) I am sure -- such really is life!

James

Last edited by jamesicus : Feb 18, 2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old Feb 18, 2009, 03:47 PM   #6
Mauseus

View My Photo Gallery
Hi,

I like the "Fratres" coinage too. Members of another message board will know Ihave a large Carausius collection including a totally appalling three emperors coin with the variant bust of the rulers holding a spear over their shoulder:

Carausius 287-93AD
Antoninianus
Obv "CARAVSIVS ET FRATRES SVI"
Jugate busts of Diocletian, Maximianus and Carausius left, holding spear over shoulder
Rev "COMES AVGGG"
Victory walking left holding wreath and branch
Camulodunum mint
S/P//C
RIC - (cf 202-3)

I also have a Diocletian with a unique quadriga reverse:

Carausius 287-93AD, in the name of Diocletian
Antoninianus
Obv IMP C DIOCLETIANVS PF AVG
Radiate, cuirassed bust right
Rev [.....VIC]TORI AVGGG
Sol in facing galloping quadriga
London mint
-/-//MLXXI
RIC -
No other recorded specimen with this reverse for Carausius or Diocletian and Maximianus under Carausius

The standard reference for these coins is not RIC but a paper written by Carson and published in the Naster festschrift in the early 1980's. I am updating that work and have added 40 new varieties to his catalogue of about 120 varieties. To this end I am interested in seeing all types of the "fratres coins" of the individual rulers or the multiple bust types.

Regards,

Mauseus

MAUSEUS on VCoins
Old Feb 18, 2009, 05:19 PM   #7
jamesicus

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauseus View Post
.......... I like the "Fratres" coinage too. Members of another message board will know Ihave a large Carausius collection including a totally appalling three emperors coin with the variant bust of the rulers holding a spear over their shoulder ..........
I trust the members of this Forum recognize your enthusiasm for, and exhaustive knowledge of, these coins Mauseus -- I certainly do. I have tapped that knowledge on several occasions and you have always responded to my requests promptly and graciously. I wish to thank you for that now, for I think I may have neglected to do so on past occasions.

I do like the coins whose photos you posted above -- great stuff, Mauseus!

James
Old Feb 21, 2009, 03:12 PM   #8
Mauseus

View My Photo Gallery
Hi,

Thanks Jamesicus, you'll make me blush! It's nice to have feedback for the Carausius things I contribute to. There is so much good material that gets published on various forums and web pages by so many people. There is a good numismatic community out there

Regards,

Mauseus

MAUSEUS on VCoins