Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > Coin Talk > Coin of the Day
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Coin of the Day Share your favorite coin today

Old Sep 25, 2007, 06:20 PM   #1
marcus flavius

View My Photo Gallery
I GOT IT!!! heh, heh, heh Crispus CONS

See one Camp gate you see them all. Except this is a rare one...

http://www.cgiebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI....:MEWN:IT&jh=01

Was lucky not alot of collectors bid on it, where was "SAK" and "HILL"?

Anyway, a few years ago another was put up for auction, a real mess of a coin, and I was outbid on a win for $30.00.

One is shown on Dirty Old Coins site, a grade nicer than mine and it went for auction for $138.00!

So, if you ever see one, JUMP ON IT!!!

It Made My Day, thank you "Coin Gods"

Last edited by marcus flavius : Sep 28, 2007 at 09:38 AM.
marcus flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 05:55 AM   #2
Congius

View My Photo Gallery
Nice catch!

I don't know how that one came in under the radar - I'd also have bid on it if I had seen it.

Ben
Congius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 09:34 AM   #3
marcus flavius

View My Photo Gallery
Thanks Ben, the heavy hitter "Taxomorph" recognized it and placed a late second whimpy bid and thank the "Coin Gods" he did'nt have time enough to rebid (which I know he would have!). Anyway, for those of you not schooled in LRBC, the background history is pretty interesting; Constantine the Great celebrates 20 years of rule at the city of Rome in mid- 326 AD with the Family. Around that the time the Constantinople mint opens to strike coins for him and family members. Well, he gets in a fuss with the pagans in Rome and departs the city, in all probablity in a poor mood. Seems his second wife, Fausta, dreams up a plot against her step son, Crispus Caesar, because she fears he might stand in the way of her much younger sons, Constantine Jr., Constantius II and Constans. She charges him with treason or attempted rape. Constantine in a fit of rage has Crispus executed. Later the truth is exposed (some say by St. Helena, Constantine's Mother) and in turn St. Constantine the Great has Fausta thrown in a bath of boiling water.
Needless to say, the mint of Constantinople had very little time to strike coins for either Crispus or Fausta, though I have seen more Fausta coins offerred forsale.
A key coin for someone collecting this series!!!
marcus flavius is offline   Reply With Quote