Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > Coin Talk > Eastern/Oriental
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Eastern/Oriental Ancient Parthian, Sassanian, Baktrian, Indian, Kushan, Islamic, Asian, and Jewish coinage.

Old Aug 31, 2007, 04:11 PM   #1
Roma_Orbis

View My Photo Gallery
China: found cellar containing 1.5 tons of ancient coins

http://www.cronaca.com/archives/005113.html

August 30, 2007
Biggest ancient coin hoard ever?

Rather impressive:
A cellar containing 1.5 tons of ancient coins, including some 2,000-year-old ones, have been discovered by a villager in Changzi County, north China's Shanxi Province.

The man in Qianwanhu village discovered the cellar with some 10,000 coins, ranging from 3 cm to 1 cm in diameter, on Aug. 23 when he was digging a channel to place pipes for tap water, said Li Lin, an official of the Changzi Center of Cultural Heritage and Tourism.

The "money cellar" was 1.5 meters under the earth, with coins being piled orderly into a cuboid of 1.3 meters long, 0.65 meter wide and one meter high . . .

Most of the coins were made during the Northern Song Dynasty (960-1127) with the remainders made during Han Dynasty (206 BC-220 AD) and Tang Dynasty (618-907) . . .
From People's Daily.

But as to the question 'Biggest ancient coin hoard ever', like the claim by Arthur Brand of the so-called Carchemish hoard the 'hoard of the millenium', let's take into consideration the mythic hoard of Mir Zakah: treasure made of 4 tons of precious metal and objects, found in Afghanistan and looted by the Afghan warlords between 1992 and 1994.
(see http://www.ancients.info/forums/showthread.php?t=688).

Jérôme
Roma_Orbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 03:08 AM   #2
GMoneti

View My Photo Gallery
Interesting, but wait-1.5 tons and only 10,000 coins? That's like 150g per coin on average! Something's not right. And certainly not even close to being the biggest ancient coin hoard. This is less than one seventh of the Reka Devnia hoard of Roman coins for example.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 10:08 AM   #3
electrum!

View My Photo Gallery
Smile Lots of coins

Well this ought to depress the market eventually!
electrum! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 03:46 PM   #4
cogito

View My Photo Gallery
Not a problem there. Asian ancients don't bring values even near what "Western" types do, in part I suspect, because of their relative uniformity and restricted market.

Jeff
cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 04:10 PM   #5
hcole1989

View My Photo Gallery
Additional Chinese coins survive in the millions. Northern Song and Han coins are very very common today (costing only a dollar or two for nice coins). There will not be a big depression in the market if any at all with this hoard.
hcole1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 05:34 PM   #6
AlexB

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcole1989 View Post
Additional Chinese coins survive in the millions. Northern Song and Han coins are very very common today (costing only a dollar or two for nice coins). There will not be a big depression in the market if any at all with this hoard.
The way the economy is going in China, will have more melt value that face value!

Brgds

Alex
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 08:23 PM   #7
4to2centophilia

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrum! View Post
Well this ought to depress the market eventually!
Actually, I was thinking Salems constant stream of 4th century coins was going to dent that market.

M

BTW What is up with the "view" counter on this board?? Thousands of views for some threads after a couple days. Something is not right.