Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > General > Site Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Site Suggestions Suggestions for Ancients.info and our forums.

Old Jun 13, 2007, 08:53 AM   #1
cogito

View My Photo Gallery
Coin Gallery Photos - Need for better organization?

The recent flood of "coin detail photos" for coins already represented in normal format in the galleries suggests that we might need a special category to fit these sort of "coin art" posts.

I like the posts, but I'm uncertain why they are needed if the coin is already in one's gallery. At some point the gallery disk space will hit a resource wall, and I worry that these repetitive detail posts will clog the system for what should be space for unique coins from all members.

Unless there's some educational need to post these sort of images (e.g., recent comparison photo montages to highlight changes in coin features over dies/time), what's the point of the extreme closeups?

Jeff
cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 08:56 AM   #2
4to2centophilia

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogito View Post
The recent flood of "coin detail photos" for coins already represented in normal format in the galleries suggests that we might need a special category to fit these sort of "coin art" posts.

I like the posts, but I'm uncertain why they are needed if the coin is already in one's gallery. At some point the gallery disk space will hit a resource wall, and I worry that these repetitive detail posts will clog the system for what should be space for unique coins from all members.

Unless there's some educational need to post these sort of images (e.g., recent comparison photo montages to highlight changes in coin features over dies/time), what's the point of the extreme closeups?

Jeff
You have some folks very proud of the artistry of their pieces.

I despair with each new one.

M
Old Jun 13, 2007, 09:36 AM   #3
cogito

View My Photo Gallery
Someone will always have a better coin. I let that go a long time ago.

J
Old Jun 13, 2007, 09:46 AM   #4
hydatius

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Someone will always have a better coin. I let that go a long time ago.

J
Yeah, and someone will always have a better camera. Sigh...

Richard
hydatius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 10:15 AM   #5
cogito

View My Photo Gallery
I don't want members to take what I questioned the wrong way. I think we all can appreciate the coin detail photos. I just wonder if we might be able to determine what would be helpful and what would be superflous. Hieron's recent post of the photo montage showing the different die characteristics across a couple of coins was wonderful, but I doubt that we need additional individual photos posted that comprised the montage. It just seems redundant.

Jeff
Old Jun 13, 2007, 12:00 PM   #6
hieron

View My Photo Gallery
I'll be happy to abide with whatever rules the members of this community wish to establish as, I am sure, future members of this community will also do. My purpose in posting larger scans was to allow the appreciation of features difficult, or impossible, to see in the size they end up being on this site. I doubt the features in the Brutus/Cassius piece would have been as easily recognizable without enlargement and some could simply not have been seen. In more recent enlargements it appeared to me features of certain coins were not as visible as coin collectors would like from the size limitations of the site and cropping, enlargement, and highlighting brought them out. Collectors are accustomed to looking at coins with the assistance of magnification and I did not wish to deny them this opportunity. It seemed apparent to me from the comments made and the numbers of views of these efforts that they attracted considerable interest, if not appreciation. Sometimes one can achieve an unexpected appreciation for the art of different coins using these techniques, as I think I demonstrated recently with the comparison scan of the Claudius Minerva As and the Ptolemy I Tetradrachm reverse.
I'm not doing these for egotistic reasons and I certainly have more to do with my time than explore the public demonstration of coin art. Unless instructed otherwise I will assume y'all don't want any more of this and will not post anything but unembellished coin pics from now on.
Clay
hieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 12:31 PM   #7
cogito

View My Photo Gallery
Clay,

I don't want to dissuade any of your posts, but just wonder if you could send us the comparison/montage types without additional individual photos comprising the montage (i.e., the last photo you uploaded vs. the former two).

As far as the image size limitation goes, I have constructed a template in Photoshop for the image limits and then blow up my coins to fit within the template. While this doesn't allow for accurate coin size representation, I have found very good results in protraying the smaller fractionals within the image template dimensions.

This isn't a dictatorship...I'm open to the group consensus. Maybe a specific "coin art" gallery section would provide a compromise?

BTW - following your collection over the past couple of weeks has been mind-blowing.

Warm regards,
Jeff
Old Jun 13, 2007, 12:40 PM   #8
Roma_Orbis

View My Photo Gallery
For me, posting details and comparisons of style is perfectly legitimate; for example, the Minerva vs Athena pict. was really instructive. We're not in an ego trip such as 'my coin is the best'!

Jérôme
Roma_Orbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 01:40 PM   #9
cogito

View My Photo Gallery
Jérôme,

I completely agree. What I wondered is the necessity for the additional individual photo posts that made up that montage. Clay has done us a service by posting his collection and making these montage comparison photos. I certainly don't want to dissuade such marvelous work...only wanted to see if we could pare down the redundancy a little.

Jeff
Old Jun 13, 2007, 01:42 PM   #10
cogito

View My Photo Gallery
Where's Clay's gallery anyway? Clay you didn't delete it, did you? Please say no.

Jeff
Old Jun 13, 2007, 02:11 PM   #11
Incitatus

View My Photo Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Incitatus
I, for one, have been enjoying those 'detail' shots tremendously. There are thousands of photos in the galleries anyways - and so much the better! Please keep them coming

Cheers
Steve
Incitatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 02:21 PM   #12
AnemicOak

View My Photo Gallery
I don't see any problem with the way things are right now. We aren't talking a ton of extra stuff eating up resources for no reason & I don't imagine disk space is a problem or Bill would say so. Storage is the cheap part.

As for a separate category I guess that's up to you guys.

Clay's gallery is still there...
http://www.ancients.info/gallery/sho...00&ppuser=1151
Old Jun 13, 2007, 03:17 PM   #13
drjbca

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Where's Clay's gallery anyway? Clay you didn't delete it, did you? Please say no.

Jeff
I can't find Hieron's albums in the Members Gallery but his coins still come up in the "Featured Coins" section.

John Barnard
drjbca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 04:35 PM   #14
tunaonrye0

View My Photo Gallery
I greatly enjoy Clay's close-ups of his wondercoins, and I hope he will continue to post them. If someone is willing to spend the time to present special coins in this manner, I'm all for it! If server space becomes an issue, then we could reconsider.

Jim
tunaonrye0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 08:03 PM   #15
cogito

View My Photo Gallery
O.K., it's apparent I'm in the minority. It didn't bother me for aesthetic reasons...more for organizational reasons.

Would the creation of a "Coin Art" gallery make sense then? We have specific topical galleries for animals, insects, etc., so why not one for extreme close-ups?

Jeff