Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > Coin Talk > Coin of the Day
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Coin of the Day Share your favorite coin today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 18, 2007, 05:43 PM   #1
Roma_Orbis
Registered User
 
Roma_Orbis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Paris
Posts: 833
   View My Photo Gallery
Tanned Nero OTD

Just received and cleaned this common Nero As bought for few bucks. Original surface is natural copper without patina, just some oxidized areas, mainly a big patch of cuprous oxides that once covered Nero's face : a Damnatio memoria inflicted by the time! One never know what is to be found under these big patches; maybe pitting everywhere underneath. I was lucky on that one, remnants of patch gives Nero a tanned appearance ; reverse is virtually uncleaned (dark color is original). And I must say the details are not bad, strike is sharp; Victoria is lovely (though while flying, she inadvertently hit some kind of street lamp and her shield was damaged ).


Looks much like the ancient guys could see it in their hands; feels like being in the unique ancient novel Satyricon (time of Nero, action taking place in Southern Italy)!
"Already had the lupanar manageress received her As to pay the room ..." (rest is censored )

While my taste usually goes to nicely patinated pieces, I feel this coin has a weird charm.

Jérôme
Roma_Orbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 05:49 PM   #2
caesavg
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22
View My Photo Gallery
I love it.
caesavg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 06:08 PM   #3
GMoneti
Registered User
 
GMoneti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 206
   View My Photo Gallery
It might be a common type, but there is nothing common about large Nero bronzes IMO. Few bucks, really? Congratulations. The detail is great, even though there is no patina.
__________________
Georgi
GMoneti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 06:12 PM   #4
Roma_Orbis
Registered User
 
Roma_Orbis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Paris
Posts: 833
   View My Photo Gallery
Well, 30 € including shipping ... that was a bet; it could well have resulted in Nero having a severe smallpox!! With the underneath surface full of holes.

Jérôme
Roma_Orbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 06:16 PM   #5
AncientDave
Registered User
 
AncientDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 136
   View My Photo Gallery
It's a beauty, especially at the price. Thanks to you, Ol' Nero's now looking as handsome as George Hamilton.
__________________
There is rest and healing in the contemplation of antiquities - Mark Twain
AncientDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 06:26 PM   #6
4to2centophilia
Registered User
 
4to2centophilia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,390
   View My Photo Gallery
Very Nice. And Roman Bronzes aren't my thing.

Great Obverse and beautifully styled reverse.

for 30 Euros??
__________________
"When you are in Rome live in the Roman style; when you are elsewhere live as they live elsewhere" St. Ambrose (340-397) to St. Augustine."
4to2centophilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 06:37 PM   #7
Roma_Orbis
Registered User
 
Roma_Orbis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Paris
Posts: 833
   View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4to2centophilia View Post
Very Nice. And Roman Bronzes aren't my thing.

Great Obverse and beautifully styled reverse.

for 30 Euros??
30 Euros AND an afternoon of plastic surgery by a priceless surgeon ! This poor Nero was struck by this terrible disease; see before:


And, to be frank, me and my wallet are no good customer for international auctions; for example I was deadly overbeaten in the last NAC 'R' auction, where I had the vanity to believe that I could grab the nice Antoninus Pius As with elephant rev. (#1535) at more than double the estimate, ultimately won by Curtis boss well over that price. So I have to find other ways to get good coins: ad augusta per angusta; let's find the narrow streets.

Jérôme
Roma_Orbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 11:13 PM   #8
awl11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California
Posts: 10
   View My Photo Gallery
Wow, great coin and a fantastic job of cleaning it up. Can you tell us how you cleaned it ?
awl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 08:13 AM   #9
BeastCoins
Moderator
 
BeastCoins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,490
   View My Photo Gallery
Wink

Jérôme,

I have an example of that type in my collection as well, also without patina:



Nero, AE As, c.65, Lugdunum
NERO CLAVD CAESAR AVG GER P M TR P IMP P P
Bare head left, globe at point of bust
No Legend
Victory flying left, hitching skirt with left hand, shield inscribed SPQR in right
S | C across fields
29mm, 10.77g
RIC I, 478 (C)
Ex Jencek Ancient Coins and Antiquities, 2000

I bought it for resale from John Jencek in 200 for something like $125 but even though I don't collect Nero or early bronzes, the reverse was so appealing I couldn't bear to part with it.

You did a very nice job conserving the piece you won, and you didn't even have to tool or repatinate it!

--Zach Beasley
__________________
VCoins Ancients Store:
http://www.vcoins.com/beastcoins

VCoins US/Banknotes Store:
http://www.vcoins.com/us/beastcoins

VCoins World Store:
http://www.vcoins.com/world/beastcoins

Beast Coins Research Site:
http://www.beastcoins.com
BeastCoins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 08:15 AM   #10
4to2centophilia
Registered User
 
4to2centophilia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,390
   View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma_Orbis View Post

And, to be frank, me and my wallet are no good customer for international auctions; for example I was deadly overbeaten in the last NAC 'R' auction, where I had the vanity to believe that I could grab the nice Antoninus Pius As with elephant rev. (#1535) at more than double the estimate, ultimately won by Curtis boss well over that price. .

Jérôme
Looks like he took it at 4x estimate. nice coin.
__________________
"When you are in Rome live in the Roman style; when you are elsewhere live as they live elsewhere" St. Ambrose (340-397) to St. Augustine."
4to2centophilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 09:35 AM   #11
Roma_Orbis
Registered User
 
Roma_Orbis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Paris
Posts: 833
   View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by awl11 View Post
Wow, great coin and a fantastic job of cleaning it up. Can you tell us how you cleaned it ?
Just a microscope, some scalpels, and patience; you also need the knowledge of how the surface will react when applying a tool in it, and when going not too far, damaging the original surface level. That is acquired by experience; don't try that kind of work on a nice ex first!

Jérôme
Roma_Orbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 09:42 AM   #12
Roma_Orbis
Registered User
 
Roma_Orbis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Paris
Posts: 833
   View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4to2centophilia View Post
Looks like he took it at 4x estimate. nice coin.
Yeah, something like around 800 Euros as cost price; doesn't look ridiculous seen the piece. Only that I can't afford paying over 800 Euros for all my Antonine. I bought the last one for 1,200 Euros ; this one: http://www.ancients.info/gallery/sho...y.php/cat/3181, Janus reverse.

Jérôme
Roma_Orbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 12:50 PM   #13
Roma_Orbis
Registered User
 
Roma_Orbis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Paris
Posts: 833
   View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastCoins View Post
Jérôme,

I have an example of that type in my collection as well, also without patina:



Nero, AE As, c.65, Lugdunum
NERO CLAVD CAESAR AVG GER P M TR P IMP P P
Bare head left, globe at point of bust
No Legend
Victory flying left, hitching skirt with left hand, shield inscribed SPQR in right
S | C across fields
29mm, 10.77g
RIC I, 478 (C)
Ex Jencek Ancient Coins and Antiquities, 2000

I bought it for resale from John Jencek in 200 for something like $125 but even though I don't collect Nero or early bronzes, the reverse was so appealing I couldn't bear to part with it.

You did a very nice job conserving the piece you won, and you didn't even have to tool or repatinate it!

--Zach Beasley
Zach,

The reverse is indeed great; same engraving style as mine. I have another ex, with same Tiber patina, and detailed Victory, not for Lugdunum mint but for Rome one:


Look at her feet! She looks like more wearing middle-ages shoes than being barefoot. But definitely less baroque, a Lugdunum feature, than our 2 coins.

These pieces are all testimonies to the sublime 1st cent. AD style, that can be seen on engraved gems (intaglios, cameos), and that is so obvious on Nero coins. And to follow Mark, our official Greece lobbyist, the engravers were probably all Greek. Nero had a sure taste in choosing the best engravers to work in the imperial mints. Compare the styles of Claudius or the Flavians, against Nero ...

Jérôme
Roma_Orbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 01:11 PM   #14
4to2centophilia
Registered User
 
4to2centophilia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,390
   View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma_Orbis View Post
And to follow Mark, our official Greece lobbyist, the engravers were probably all Greek. Nero had a sure taste in choosing the best engravers to work in the imperial mints. Compare the styles of Claudius or the Flavians, against Nero ...

Jérôme
In keeping with full disclosure, I am in fact a Paid lobbyist for AGDEB (the Ancient Greek Die Engravers Brotherhood). Former members inlcude Eumenes, Phrygillos, Euainetos, Kleudoros, Philistion and of course Kimon.

Our mission is to promote the highest level of artistic rendering of classical iconography on coins throughout the centuries. Our motto is "Graecus Monetus es Maximus Renderus Magnificus, Romanus Monetus Mediocrus"

Membership is select, however we accept tax deductible donations. All donations can be directed to me through private messaging. We offer the best rates for currency conversion.

AGDEB .......Making Money Beautiful.............

BR

Mark


Do you think I failed Latin in school? I am sure Curtis can straighten it all out.
__________________
"When you are in Rome live in the Roman style; when you are elsewhere live as they live elsewhere" St. Ambrose (340-397) to St. Augustine."
4to2centophilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 09:12 PM   #15
BeastCoins
Moderator
 
BeastCoins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,490
   View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4to2centophilia View Post
In keeping with full disclosure, I am in fact a Paid lobbyist for AGDEB (the Ancient Greek Die Engravers Brotherhood). Former members inlcude Eumenes, Phrygillos, Euainetos, Kleudoros, Philistion and of course Kimon.

Our mission is to promote the highest level of artistic rendering of classical iconography on coins throughout the centuries. Our motto is "Graecus Monetus es Maximus Renderus Magnificus, Romanus Monetus Mediocrus"

Mark
Mark,

Although you are a Greek connoisseur, I'm sure even you can appreciate some of the really fantastic portraiture during the Roman Imperial period



Aureolus under the name of Postumus, Antoninianus, 268, Mediolanum
IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG
Radiate, draped, cuirassed bust right
VIRTVS-EQVITVM
Hercules standing right, leaning on club set on rock, lion-skin across arm, bow at right
S in exergue
18mm x 21mm, 3.19g
RIC V, Part II, 389 (S)
Ex Triton VIII, Lot 2079, January 2005; Ex Tony Hardy Collection



Marius, Antoninianus, 269, Cologne (RIC), Trier (Mairat), 2nd Emission
IMP C MARIVS P F AVG
Radiate, draped, cuirassed bust right
SAEC-F_ELICITAS
Felicitas standing facing, head left, caduceus in right hand, cornucopiae in left
21mm, 4.05g
RIC V, Part II, 10 (S); Mairat 235-7; AGK 4b

Enjoy!

--Zach Beasley
__________________
VCoins Ancients Store:
http://www.vcoins.com/beastcoins

VCoins US/Banknotes Store:
http://www.vcoins.com/us/beastcoins

VCoins World Store:
http://www.vcoins.com/world/beastcoins

Beast Coins Research Site:
http://www.beastcoins.com
BeastCoins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content copyright © 2002-2006, VHobbies.com, LLC. All rights reserved.