Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > General > Off-topic Conversations
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Off-topic Conversations Conversation not related to coins or antiquities.

Old Oct 17, 2006, 03:31 PM   #1
AncientDave

View My Photo Gallery
Have we heard the last from him?

Love him, hate him, or torn by equally extreme measures of both (like me), it looks as though the intrepid inkslinger MVr has made some serious enemies who are now getting too close for comfort. Or we are being taken in somehow, and MVr will soon gleefully reveal it as one of the funniest tricks ever, according to him. I just happened to check his site today, and this is all that is there now:

http://www.michelvanrijn.nl/
Old Oct 17, 2006, 03:45 PM   #2
4to2centophilia

View My Photo Gallery
Interesting. Let's see what happens. I exchanged some interesting e-mails with him last week. Hmmmmm.
4to2centophilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 05:48 PM   #3
cogito

View My Photo Gallery
Already two people have been killed in connection with the Sevso silver (see Atlantic Monthly article posted here a week or so ago), so I'm not surprised that the criminal figures surrounding the treasure are coming after MvR.

Jeff
cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 06:15 PM   #4
vozmozhno

View My Photo Gallery
Maybe. Or maybe he's facing legal troubles over the content of his site and this is just his latest con game--who knows.

Voz
vozmozhno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 06:56 PM   #5
cogito

View My Photo Gallery
He's too histrionic and attention seeking. It would not be in his nature to pull content that glorifies his exploits unless forced to do so.

Jeff
cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 09:40 PM   #6
ember

View My Photo Gallery
Perhaps he was forced to shut it down (again).
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11...bsite_vanrijn/

Darcy
ember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:33 PM   #7
drjbca

View My Photo Gallery
BBC item on Sevso Hoard

The BBC website had an item on the Sevso Hoard; it makes for some interesting general information.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6061970.stm

Cheers!

John Barnard
drjbca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 09:17 AM   #8
Arthur Brand

View My Photo Gallery
As a good friend of Michel, I can answer. Iīve worked a lot with Michel and continue to do so. The website was closed because of the reason that you can read on michelvanrijn.nl.
There is nothing to add to that.
Well, may be there is. The story continues. Did anybody hear the fat lady sing? I didnīt...

Art
Arthur Brand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 09:20 AM   #9
Arthur Brand

View My Photo Gallery
Let me tell you the truth about Sevso...

The treasure was found in Stromica, now referred to as Strumica, a
small city in the newly formed Republic of Macedonia.
Bonhams is exhibiting the 14 pieces to open the market for the other
pieces, that are still missing. This way they are whitewashed...
I will keep you updated.

Art
Old Oct 19, 2006, 12:12 PM   #10
vozmozhno

View My Photo Gallery
So Arthur,

What about the Atlantic monthly piece ( http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200111/landesman ) claiming the silver was found by a Jozsef Sumegh in 1978 in Polgardi, Hungary?

Voz
Old Oct 19, 2006, 01:05 PM   #11
Arthur Brand

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vozmozhno
So Arthur,

What about the Atlantic monthly piece ( http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200111/landesman ) claiming the silver was found by a Jozsef Sumegh in 1978 in Polgardi, Hungary?

Voz
That was the story so far. Michel published the true story last week.

Regards,

Art
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:39 PM   #12
vozmozhno

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Brand

Michel published the true story last week.
Well he SAID he was going to ("details forthcoming"), but never did. I assume he intended to, but made the decision to shut down his site before getting around to it.

Voz
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:32 PM   #13
ibex-coins

View My Photo Gallery
I prefer that when people have numismatically important research or information that they wish to bring the numsimatic community at large that they submit their findings to peer-reviewed academic journals. This process ensures that the information is based on sound research and that the interpretations are reasonable. When someone writes what should be a significant article and then posts it on their own website, or submits it to a mass circulating periodical that has no specialty knowledge about numismatics I get suspcious that the authors are trying to bypass a legitimate process for dissmenating information for their own purposes and not to inform the numismatic community at large.

A few years ago a rather stunning archaeological find came to the publics attention, the James Ossuary, reported to be the ossuary fo Jesus's brother James. A certain group of Archaeologists and academissions had their doubts about this find. They choose to scientifically analyse this object, then they submitted their materials and methods, along with their results and conclusions to an peer-reviewed academic journal, the Israel Exploration Journal. This process allowed people to really see how they came to their conclusions. Not everyone agreed with their methods and thus their conclusions, but because they submitted their findings to a journal of this type, they allowed for a legitimate debate of their conclusions. When someone bypasses this process, they are essentially saying, trust me. It allows for suspicion as to what the alterial motives were for choosing an alternative format for publication. People get suspicious when an author says my conclusions are based on some secret information that I have that I am refusing to allow my peers to view, or bring forward for all to see how my conclusions were formed.

Arthur and MVr would seem to have some really important ideas and information that might be of use to the numismatic community. I think that when people have important and provocative ideas that they serve themselves and the community at large best when they publish this information in a peer-reviewed academic journal, such as ANJ, the Numismatic Chronicles, INJ (soon to be revamped), The ANA's Journal of Advanced Studies in Numismatics, etc...

Thanks for allowing me to express and opinion,
Ronn
ibex-coins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 06:31 PM   #14
esnible

View My Photo Gallery
MvR's site is back.

I agree with ibex-coins that it would be good to see stories by Arthur Brand in the numismatic press. I'd also like to see Brand's book, Het verboden Judas-evangelie en de schat van Carchemish, reviewed in numismatic journals. I am not sure how to make this happen. Write a letter to the Celator asking for more coverage of smuggling?
esnible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 05:46 AM   #15
Arthur Brand

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by esnible
MvR's site is back.

I agree with ibex-coins that it would be good to see stories by Arthur Brand in the numismatic press. I'd also like to see Brand's book, Het verboden Judas-evangelie en de schat van Carchemish, reviewed in numismatic journals. I am not sure how to make this happen. Write a letter to the Celator asking for more coverage of smuggling?

The numismatic world is about money, and I mean NEW money, not old money....
They all cover eachother. Do you really think that anybody dares to publish the fake Athenian Dekadrachm excepts me? Nobody wants the fury of CNG.
Do you really think that anybody will confess that they were involved in the Carchemish-hoard? Of course not. Off-line they do, I have enough emails about it, but online nobody dares.

Best,

Arthur