Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > General > Site Suggestions
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Site Suggestions Suggestions for Ancients.info and our forums.

Old May 26, 2006, 08:15 AM   #1
marcus flavius

View My Photo Gallery
Using the "Chat"

I noticed the chat feature on the title bar and also see "most users on site" below that are currently logged on. What is the protocal of contacting a member that is logged on? Do many members use the chat feature? Like most new members, I am not acquinted to be on a friendly basis with some established long timers. But sometime I see someone that I might want to contact that is logged on and discuss a tread or whatever. I know members are busy folks, so I don't want to be a bothersome individual (nor do I want it done to me).
Any considerations, thanks.
marcus flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 01:19 PM   #2
Buzzygirl

View My Photo Gallery
I generally don't pay much attention to the chat feature, but if I am logged on and you'd like to chat with someone, just PM me and then we can move over to the chat feature. I consider myself pretty new here as well, definitely a newbie to ancients (been collecting about 1.5 years) so I tend to read a lot more than post on this board.
Old May 26, 2006, 02:27 PM   #3
Gunner

View My Photo Gallery
I am a big supporter of the chat feature; however, there doesn't seem to be much interest??? WHY? I'd love to talk in real time with many of you

Gunner
Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 03:08 PM   #4
Buzzygirl

View My Photo Gallery
I would like to try it out sometime too.
Old May 26, 2006, 04:31 PM   #5
ancientcoins

View My Photo Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to ancientcoins
I think that we need to schedule things to get people in. For example a "Friday Night Chat" (which I'm going to try to do tonight ) or a specific topic, like: "Severan Era Coinage." I'll post the Friday Night Chat thing right now.

Andrew
Old May 26, 2006, 05:13 PM   #6
Incitatus

View My Photo Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Incitatus
I typically spend hours a day researching and listing coins, I'll just log into the chat and hang there - that way, all those of you looking for a place to happen will be one person closer to a party!

Steve
Incitatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 06:21 PM   #7
AncientDave

View My Photo Gallery
Everytime I try to get in there I end up talking to some weird, frustratingly cryptic computer named Socrates. It freaks me out to chat with a computer. Things these days have become disconnected enough as it is. Does anyone know what is up with this Socrates computer thing?
Old May 27, 2006, 08:33 AM   #8
admin
Administrator

View My Photo Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to admin
Socrates is an automated personality that I added to the chat just for fun. He only shows up when there is only one person in the chat. Someday I plan to find the time to program it with an ancient personality and knowledge.

If he's just annoying, I can remove him.

Bill
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 08:37 AM   #9
ancientcoins

View My Photo Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to ancientcoins
He is extremely annoying.... He has something to say about every word. I typed something last night to Steve and it said "Depends on what the meaning of 'it' is." If you go into "The Lounge," instead of "Coins," there is no Socrates... That can be the chatting room

Andrew
Old May 27, 2006, 10:09 AM   #10
admin
Administrator

View My Photo Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to admin
I've removed Socrates. I have to say that I had fun talking with him a few times. Or maybe I just really need a life.

Bill
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 01:31 PM   #11
Wolfgang336

View My Photo Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolfgang336
I'm in the chat at the omment, and probably will be for a while, if anybody wants to join me...

Evan
Wolfgang336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 09:20 AM   #12
marcus flavius

View My Photo Gallery
Thanks all for the quidelines. I like the idea of Private message to the individual.
ALSO, I use yahoo games alot for Chess, and there is a section for chat by anyone using the site that is in view for all when logged on.Perhaps something like that can be incorporated in this page. I know that may be alot of work, database development wise, so if it does'nt happen, I understand.
In my case , I sometimes under time pressure (like everyone). So if I can't, I'll say so or qive a heads up of minutes I have. Good that this is cleared up for me!
marcus flavius is offline   Reply With Quote