Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > Coin Talk > Eastern/Oriental
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Eastern/Oriental Ancient Parthian, Sassanian, Baktrian, Indian, Kushan, Islamic, Asian, and Jewish coinage.

Old Feb 28, 2008, 07:31 PM   #1
Lycaonian

View My Photo Gallery
Ancient earring money of Israel?

Can anyone confirm and detail the use of gold earrings as currency in Israel in and around the 1400-1100 BC? Is there any good on-line confirmation and description of this type of money anywhere? Thanks in advance, folks!

Dave
Lycaonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 04:20 AM   #2
hcole1989

View My Photo Gallery
I don't know about gold ear rings in Israel, but gold rings were a way to store wealth in Egypt at this time.
hcole1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 05:14 PM   #3
ulysses

View My Photo Gallery
I think that coins were invented around 600 BC either in Greece, china, or India. The place is disputed but most people agree on the time, so before this date I believe barter trade was in place and food, shoes, earings, swords, or anything of interest to other parties could have been used as currency, but in the way of bartering and not as in the modern concept of mediation or coinage, but still may be you know better than me for I am just a newbie!

Last edited by ulysses : Mar 29, 2008 at 05:48 PM.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:34 AM   #4
emeslyaakov

View My Photo Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to emeslyaakov
Rings in ancient Israel

In the book of Genesis, Chapter 24, Abraham sent his slave Eliezer to acquire a bride for Abraham's son Isaac.

Verse 22: And it came to pass, as the camels had done drinking, that the man took a golden ring of half a shekel weight, and two bracelets for her hands of ten shekels weight of gold;

You probably do not remember the specific weight of the jewelry that you buy for your wife or girlfriend. Even if you do, it is probably in odd weights. Giving the weights, and that they are very nice round numbers might be an indication that wrings and bracelets (large rings) were more than just jewelry here.

Tsvi Rogin
emeslyaakov is offline   Reply With Quote