View Single Post
Old Mar 30, 2007, 03:05 AM   #6
curtislclay

View My Photo Gallery
Barry,

That is indeed a question that has interested me for decades, but I don't have the time to consult the many notes I have made about it, plus every die study that has been carried out of Roman gold and silver coins that share the same types, in order to present firm conclusions with documented examples.

Basically, at the beginning of the Empire it was normal to strike aurei and denarii from the same dies, but by the time of Marcus and Commodus the dies for the two denominations were always different, aureus dies having become broader and often in finer style than denarius dies. From at least Marcus on you won't find any die links between aurei and denarii, though the rare gold and silver quinarii of this era continued to be struck from the same dies.

The divergence of aureus dies from denarius dies was a gradual process, however. I think it was normal to use the same dies for both denominations under the Julio-Claudians, Galba, Otho, Vitellius, and until early in the reign of Domitian, when your denarius was struck. Domitian's latter aurei, Germania seated and Emperor in Quadriga types, have their own legends, types, and, obviously, dies, which were not shared with denarii. Die sharing between the two denominations returned, however, under Nerva, early Trajan, and early Hadrian. Later in Hadrian's reign the types and dies again diverged, and the same may be true of the later years of Trajan's reign too. I can't think of examples of die sharing under Antoninus Pius or early Marcus Aurelius, but maybe there are some cases that I am just overlooking. By later in Marcus' reign, in any case, the separation had taken place for good, and I don't think you will find die sharing between aurei and denarii from then until the demise of the production of denarii for normal circulation under Gordian III.

So my impression is that it was still normal when your denarius was struck to share dies between aurei and denarii. Ian Carradice has done lots of die studies of gold and silver under Domitian, so the answer to this particular question will probably be given in his and Buttrey's forthcoming new Flavian RIC, if it is not already contained in Carradice's BAR monograph on the coinage of Domitian.

Two particular examples: the denarius of Domitia, struck 82-3 AD, in Berk Buy or Bid 154, about to go on line, lot 305, is from the same dies as the Paris aureus of the same type, Paris 70, pl. XCII. BMC III, pl. 46.1-2, an aureus and denarius of Hadrian's first issue, share the same rev. die.

Last edited by curtislclay : Mar 30, 2007 at 09:45 AM.
curtislclay is offline   Reply With Quote