PDA

View Full Version : Labors of Hercules

stmst
Mar 10, 2006, 02:38 AM
Hello everybody!
I've just uploaded to Labors of Hercules gallery photos of 6 coins from my collection - any comments will be appreciated (especially any identification hints about The Stymphalian Birds and young Hercules coins).
Are there any collectors (I know about Beast :-)) of the provincial coins depicting Labors of Hercules?
Best regards
Martin

Pscipio
Mar 10, 2006, 03:56 AM
Hi Martin,

really cool coins! I especially like the infant Herakles and the Cretan bull coin. I myself am not specialized on the labors of Herakles, but it certainly is a very interesting topic, and I could imagine collecting it later. The problem is that while some labors are common, others are very hard to find and very expensive.

I attach the pic of a medallion from my collection, showing the classical Herakles leaning on his club and holding the lion skin and the hesperide appels. It has a flan crack and is worn, but well, if it weren't, it would have been far too expensive for me.

Elagabal AE41, struck at Philippopolis, 218-222 AD.
Obv: AVT K M AVPHL ANTΩNEINOC CEB, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, wearing aeges with snakes on left shoulder.
Rev: MHTPOΠOΛEΩC ΦIΛIΠΠOΠOΛEΩC NEΩ, Heracles standing left holding club resting on ground in right hand, lion skin draped over left arm, holding hesperide apples. KOPOY in exergue.
39-41 mm, 33.15 g.

Mionnet 358 (R6, 120 Fr.), otherwise unpublished.

Lars

stmst
Mar 11, 2006, 03:55 AM
Hi Lars,
interesting coin!

There are a lot of coins depicting Hercules - not necessarily related to his Twelve Labors (my coin with young Hercules with snakes as an example).

It would be quite interesting to rank Twelve Labors by rarity, in reference to their appearance on Roman coins.

In fact, besides A.Pius drachmas, I don't seem remember any provincial depicting labor 5 -Cleaning The Augean Stables.

Best regards
Martin

Pscipio
Mar 11, 2006, 04:15 AM
Indeed, here it is:

AE Drachm, Antoninus Pius, struck in year 10 (=146/147 AD).
Obv: AVT K T AIL AΔP ANTΩNEINOC CEB EVC, laureate head right.
Rev: [L] ΔEKATO-V, Herakles standing right, nude but for lion's skin draped over his left shoulder, advancing right with his arms extended to a fountain (built within rocks?), the spigot in the form of a human head which spouts water into a shallow vase; inside the vase, a rake.
Kln 1540; Dattari 2606; Milne 1912; Voegtli 12r; Cornell 129 (this coin).

Lars

fred
Oct 5, 2006, 06:21 PM
I've done an article on Hercule labours, i give you the link but it's in french : http://www.fredericweber.com/articl_dieux/article_travaux_d_hercule.htm