PDA

View Full Version : Diospolis coin tooled?

livingwater
Jul 11, 2011, 03:39 PM
I've been wanting a coin from Diospolis for a while. There's one on ebay which I bid on. But after I bid I looked on acsearch.info and found what I think is the same coin, but it has been tooled and retoned. I've attached the acsearch.info coin, but the ebay seller has a warning on his site not to copy his photos. I asked the seller to retract my bid because I thought the coin had been altered. The seller was kind enough to do so, but he's still trying to sell the coin without saying the coin was tooled, at least that is my opinion. If anyone wants to compare the two coins, go to ebay and search for Diospolis and post your opinion on ancients.info if you want. It sure looks like the same coin to me that has been tooled to try and raise it a full grade or more from VG to Fine or Very Fine. I'm thankful for sites like acsearch.info and the Forgery Network to help collectors spot fakes and altered coins.

Roma_Orbis
Jul 11, 2011, 03:47 PM
Yes, this looks to be the same coin, with some tooling and a black tone with earthen highlights.

Jérôme

djmacdo
Jul 12, 2011, 05:52 AM
I think you are right--tooled.

4to2centophilia
Jul 12, 2011, 06:06 AM
Let the crook sue me.

Should put this warning on Forum, where it will be seen by many more collectors.

4to2centophilia
Jul 12, 2011, 07:04 AM
This seller is already listed at forum as a seller of tooled Judean coins

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=18502.0

livingwater
Jul 15, 2011, 07:44 PM
Thanks for your responses and that this seller is already on a warning list on Forum.