PDA

View Full Version : Thyatira Nero and chi-rho countermark?

livingwater
Feb 13, 2011, 10:09 AM
This coin recently sold on ebay. I lost the bid. It's from Thyatira, Lydia, an AE of Nero and Poppaea. It has a countermark that looks like a tau-rho or perhaps a chi-rho. It's rather interesting to me since I collect chi-rho (Christ's monogram) coins of Constantine and his family. For this coin, who knows what the countermark was meant to represent. Most ancient countermarks I think were plain letters, numbers, busts, etc., not a lot of monograms, but I could be wrong since I'm not too familiar with countermark studies. The photo is tilted so the countermark is, I think, right side up. Mark

Mauseus
Feb 14, 2011, 01:07 PM
Hi,

There are a number of Greek monograms listed in Christopher Howgego's excellent book 'Greek Imperial Countermarks', originally printed in 1985 and reprinted in 2005.

The Chi Rho countermark is number 641 where he notes it on a single bronze coin of Nero from Thyatira also. He does not speculate a date or meaning for the mark but as it too is on a coin of Nero from the same city as the one you saw then it looks like it is probably contemporaneous (rather than a later Byzantine application) and local to that city.

Regards,

Mauseus

livingwater
Feb 15, 2011, 08:52 PM
THANK YOU MAUSEUS for the information!!!

Joe Geranio
Dec 2, 2011, 03:49 AM
http://www.romancoins.info/Countermarks.html

You may enjoy this site on Neronian and Julio Claudian countermarks.

Joe Geranio
Julio Claudian Iconographic Association