PDA

View Full Version : Faustina II AE of Lystra Lycaonia

Lycaonian
Apr 15, 2008, 02:57 PM
I recently located a Faustina of Lystra. While I recognize the caveat that grading"rarity" can be dependent upon one's standard of rarity, I also am aware that there are some generally accepted guidelines for determining such within reason. All to say, can anyone shed some light on the degree of rarity of a Faustina Lystra issue? I have seen several Ant. Pius issues in the last several years and a couple Augustan, but this is the only Faustina I have personally seen in the last several years. I'm curious...

Dave

bpmurphy
Apr 15, 2008, 06:41 PM
Von Aulock's corpus of the coinage of Lystra was published in Chiron II (1972). In it he recorded 33 coins. An additional example was recorded in Munzen und Stadte Lykaoniens. Somewhere in my office I have a copy of this article, when I track it down I'll let you know the breakdown of emperors.

Barry Murphy

SMinnoch
Apr 16, 2008, 01:23 AM
Also try this link - if no results appear click on "with images" and turn the option to show those entries without images on.
http://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/search/ident/?c_id-1=lyst&od_id-1=269&rd_b=or&rd=&ri=&ri_ns=&m=&d=&stype=ident&search=Search

Lycaonian
Apr 16, 2008, 08:35 AM
Thanks Sminnoch for the wonderful link. I have seen and used this site before and frankly had forgotten about it. There are 10 Lystran entries on this site and only one is the Faustina denomination that I had located and purchased recently. Wish I could see the condition of the one they referred to, but, alas, no photo. So accessing the online references at my disposal yields this preliminary conclusion. Not many Lystran issues out there, but of those, the Ant. Pius is the most readily available. But what conclusions about the rarity of the Faustina?
If I may add this further inquiry...perhaps I will start a sepaqrate thread on this. How rare are the Cereris Col issues under Ant. Pius. I bought one of these a couple years back and, curiously enough, it appears to be restruck over an earlier bronze. It is an interesting novelty. I would invite input on this piece as well from anyone...

Dave

bpmurphy
Apr 16, 2008, 02:52 PM
Dave,

Found the article. here's the relevant information....

Barry Murphy