PDA

View Full Version : Alexandria Troas 1st cent. AD issues a puzzle

Lycaonian
Feb 18, 2008, 06:02 PM
Or should I say, the lack thereof. I have yet to see a provincial issue from Alex. Troas from the 1st cent. and have been told that they do not exist by a vcoins friend. If this is true, my curiosity is certainly stirred as to why not. Any light someone could shed? The answer actually could help me to place some other pieces of the Alexandia Troas puzzle together. Thanks for the help!

Dave

BeastCoins
Feb 18, 2008, 08:50 PM
Hello Dave,

Looking in Alfred Bellinger's book "Troy the Coins", which covers Ilium and Alexandria Troas, p. 103-104 summarizes that although Ilium was minting coins apparently without interruption, Troas stops at 48 BC and doesn't start up again until the reign of Antoninus Pius in 138 AD. Bellinger admits "it is a phenomenon without explanation, but not without parallel" and cites the same happening at Syria-Apamea during the reign of Claudius, even though Apamaea was also a great and flourishing city.

--Zach Beasley

Lycaonian
Feb 18, 2008, 09:50 PM
How befuddling is that. A. Troas was still very much a serious hub of transportation and commerce--THE port city from Anatolia to points west even in the 1st Cent. , by the accounts I have seen. I believe it was later even momentarily considered a viable option to Byzantium/ Constantinople as a candidate for the an eastern capital for the empire, if I recall correctly. Yet new coinage production drops to 0 (apparently) for a couple of centuries! Go figure. Thanks for the info, Zach.

Dave