PDA

View Full Version : Why are the flans of Alexandrian AE tetradrachms ragged?

cogito
Feb 15, 2008, 02:32 PM
Not being a Roman collector, I worry that I may be asking an old question, but here goes anyway.

I've recently noticed that there is a wealth of seemingly new Alexandrian AEs on the market. Was a recent hoard found? But, more to my original question, why do all of these AE tetradrachms have the same ragged, bumpy flan edges? The consistency of the flan appearance must mean that there was some deviation from standard flan creation and striking procedures.

http://www.ancients.info/gallery/data/3401/medium/17859.jpg

Curious...

Jeff

Salem
Feb 15, 2008, 04:01 PM
Hi Jeff
there were two Hoards, one Tetrachy era, and another one Recovery Era, and both was few thousands each, and thired small early Roman to Commodus around 600 coins.
regards
Salem

marcus flavius
Feb 16, 2008, 08:17 AM
Perhaps it is due to the flans being cast and then were struck on the dies.

cogito
Feb 16, 2008, 08:53 PM
I suspected as much, but what's odd is the consistency of the raggedness around the flan and the general lack of a spur, as one often finds in linked blank casting (i.e., Sicilian greek AEs). These late Alexandrian AE tetradrachma are characteristically different from those seen say during Hadrian's reign, so somewhere along the line minting methods changed (or I would argue...degraded).

Jeff