PDA

View Full Version : Triton XI--lot 501--Lystra--question

Lycaonian
Jan 7, 2008, 08:50 PM
Hello,

Having the interest in Lycaonian pieces that I do, I noticed this Lystran piece on Triton XI. I have only seen one other example of this issue in an online reference site. Can anyone comment on the relative rarity of this piece? Is the estimation anywhere close to what one would pay for it in other venues. Any other insights into Lystran pieces or direction to helpful info. any Lystra would be highly valued. If anyone has any recommendations on collectors/ dealers who have a specialized knowledge in this the area of Lycaonia, I would welcome that info. as well!

thanks,
dave

Spradling
Jan 7, 2008, 10:15 PM
On a fixed price list, I would gladly pay $300 for this! I would expect it to go for a little more here. If three people want it, who knows? In 2003 a variant (the RPC plate coin) brought $375. Regards, George Spradling

Lycaonian
Jan 8, 2008, 02:53 PM
Do you have much experience with Lycaonia, George?

Spradling
Jan 8, 2008, 07:50 PM
Absolutely none. Lots with that kind of thing, however, and always on the lookout for coins of central Anatolia. I just checked, and I have a few of Parlais, Barata, Isaura. Never seen Derbe before. Actually, I would pay whatever it took if I were particularly interested in specializing in these (I know you do not see them often). Lystra was a colony, though, so there should have been at least a modest (probably very modest) volume of coinage. A check of Historia Nummorum would probably help, and perhaps Asia Minor Coins. George S.

Lycaonian
Jan 8, 2008, 08:29 PM
Yes, I have been told by one noteworthy collector that perhaps my best shot at landing a Derbe was to pull up stakes for a short vacation to central Turkey.He was sincere in this evaluation of things and I respect that. Yet which of us could really do this...and then there is the issue of customs. I have been in Turkish airports, and the law in Turkey is not ambiguos about what awaits someone carrying artifacts out of the country.
Are you a dealer and, if so, do you have a store on the internet?

Dave

Lycaonian
Jan 8, 2008, 08:32 PM
Oh, and another vcoins veteran who has quite a storied history in Anatolian pieces has told me he has handled 2 or 3 in his inventory over the years he has been in business!
Imagine!

Spradling
Jan 8, 2008, 11:07 PM
No dealer (in coins, but I sell rare books of literature), just enthusiastic collector of the coins of faraway places in the middle of nowhere in the dark backward and abysm of time. It seems Derbe coined only under the Antonines (?), and the online RPC lists only 3 coin types, none with more than 2 examples recorded --- more than I expected! This situation may represent a lack of interest among collectors, as there was no Hellenistic coinage in these places and a certain pro-Greek snobbery may have hindered research and exploration. Or not. My personal favorite city is Colbasa in Pisidia, represented by about the same level of surviving coinage.
Do not try to buy coins in Turkey: the jails are not fun, and the person who sold you the coin frequently will turn you in to the authorities, who are zealous in their efforts. They will search you in places you did not know you had. Even an inquiry into export permits, etc., will trigger suspicion I am told. Regards, George S.

Lycaonian
Jan 9, 2008, 07:49 AM
Could you please tell me how to access online RPC?

Yes, One fascination with Derbe was in the day the apostle Paul travelled there (my special interest), I think Derbe was a military outpost town stuck out there on the frontier the Empire shared with the more "barbaric" kingdoms. I'm supposing to the town's immediate east was the client Kingdom of Cappadocia in those days.

Don't worry, we have no plans of taking up residence in the otherwise lovely interior of Anatolia--in hotel OR behind bars:( . I am however looking forward to an excursion right through the area of our common interest--central Turkey-- in less than four months. Looking forward to it!:)

Dave

Spradling
Jan 9, 2008, 11:25 AM
I just googled RPC Online Coin database. Lucky you! Cheers, Geo. S.

Lycaonian
Jan 9, 2008, 01:25 PM
Now I know why you experts are payed the big bucks for your specialized knowledge:rolleyes: