PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Hoard of tetradrachms befor and after cleaning

Salem
Feb 6, 2007, 10:14 PM
Hi all I just have this Hoard by mail today, I am showing it befor cleaning and I will show it after cleaning.
I belive it will be fun !!1
regards
Salem

Salem
Feb 8, 2007, 11:05 AM
I did well I think so far.
regards
Salem

Salem
Feb 8, 2007, 11:07 AM
the picture

Scotvs Capitis
Feb 8, 2007, 12:30 PM
Amazing! Did you use some kind of solution like lemon juice or citric acid?

Salem
Feb 9, 2007, 07:19 AM
Hi Scotvs
I used a methood that Michel Prieur advised me to use for such coins, it is concentrate Lemon Juice and hot water showers.
I devide the coins for groups up how thick dirt they have and then treat each group that way, I repeat the the methood many times for the groups with thick dirt, and for the coins that have realy light dirt I do it just once.
regards
Salem

Scotvs Capitis
Feb 9, 2007, 07:28 AM
Excellent. Thanks for the tip, I am impressed!

BeastCoins
Feb 12, 2007, 05:23 AM
The only downside I've experienced using lemon juice to clean billon Antiocheni tetradrachms is that wherever there was accretion, once removed the metal will be orange or pink, depending on the level of copper leeched to the surface. However, it tones dark brown pretty quickly, so it's only distracting for a couple of months or less after cleaning.

http://www.vcoins.com/ancient/beastcoins/store/catalog/Z1190.jpg

--Zach

Salem
Feb 12, 2007, 08:49 AM
Zach
the early billons are good to treat with Lemon Juice, but Eligabalus , Trajan decius, Trebgallus, and the late ones I dont recommend the Lemon Juice because the amount of silver in those is not as high as Philip, GordianIII, and the other Severian tetradrachms.
just Eligabal from the Severian that have realy smaller amount of silver but the others I use the Lemon methood.
regards
Salem

bbridgwater
Feb 12, 2007, 02:34 PM
Salem,
Do you have any similar quick way to clean green deposits from silvered bronzes such as the recent hoard you mentioned? Is there any safe "chemical" way to clean these?

Ben

Salem
Feb 12, 2007, 08:16 PM
Hi Ben
I am afraid not, a friend who bought from me around 1500 coins that came from Egypt with such green dirt and he didnt clean them well, I dont like to use any chemical with bronze coins, even though I know that some dealers are using it and have realy wonderfull results, I wish I know that way because I realy need it.
regards
Salem

Scotvs Capitis
Feb 12, 2007, 10:33 PM
I know that some dealers are using it and have realy wonderfull results, I wish I know that way because I realy need it.
regards
Salem

Salem,

I have been very suspicious of dealers, it seems that with some dealers both on Vcoins and eBay, they have a large proportion of their bronze coins with a very similar finish and surface, as if they have some chemical cleaning method they use. They seem to also have a particular re-patina method that leaves a very attractive false patina behind. Since they don't advertise it as such, I guess I will never know. I even see some dealers on eBay who buy coins uncleaned from middle eastern suppliers and the same coins turn up a short time later cleaned very nicely and with a very uniform patina, once that I know as a cleaner with thousands of coins experience must have been a chemical process. I too wish I knew what it was. :(

Salem
Feb 15, 2007, 08:49 PM
Dear Scotvs Capitis
I am searching to find that way and promis to let you know when I know it, one time a big dealer got around 50 000 uncleaned coins that came from very bad soil, and these coins always come with realy thick and hard dirt, you cant tell whats underneath it, it is like buying small stones :) , in two days he said let me show you what I bought from you, and I couldent belive my eyes, they were cleaned with darck brown patina, and I bought about around 100 coins from them for $100 each after I sold them for $1 each :p
regards
Salem